- Tuesday, 13 March 2018
The Tanzania Media Women’s Association, TAMWA is a not for profit organisation that believes and respects Human Rights and advocates for women and children’s rights. For effective and robust advocacy, TAMWA uses multiple platforms of media including print, electronic and modern or social media as a key strategy.
TAMWA is looking for an eligible, competent, qualified, and professional candidate to cover the position mentioned above. The position requires a person who can work on full time basis.
TAMWA is inviting applications for the position of Media, Policy and Advocacy Officer under the following terms of reference
· Produce at least two articles per month with analytical information on gender related and especially GBV issues in Tanzania and publish them in any media of your choice and hand the printed copies to Senior Program Officers.
· Observe media and gender calendar events well in advance (one month before) and supervise involvement of TAMWA in these events such as Zero Tolerance Day, international Women’s Day, Day of the African Child etc and fundraise on each event
· Be focal person and monitor implementation of the National Plan of Action on GBV.
· Write quarterly reports on the same to inform TAMWA on government and its stakeholders’ implementation of Action.
· Produce quarterly, bi-annual media analysis reports on media coverage and gender issues especially on TAMWA’s projects. The reports will provide clear roadmap on how TAMWA’s media campaign on GBV and other gender related issues is fairing.
· Commissioning internally, and drafting, regular proactive media initiatives including press releases, pieces, and letters to editors ensuring balance across the Society’s activities comentary
· Managing day to day press liaison with key organizations and journalists with whom we work on a regular basis.
· Create, manage and optimize TAMWA’s media channels and community interactions through developing sustainable relationships with development partners and key actors in the Association advocacy activities such as various media and journalists.
· Oversee and ensure smooth implementation of activities in accordance to the laid down principles including planning and reporting.
· Collaborate with other civil society organisations in influencing the media to set national agenda to shape the future of the poor, the majority being women.
· Answering enquiries from the press or other media representatives
· Supervise monitoring reports from media officer
· Attending press conferences and media interviews
· Keeping up – to – date with all issues that affect the organization in the media
· Generate ideas to gain more media coverage
· Perform any other duties as per Executive Director’s directives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Media monitoring and analysis skills
- Media troubleshooting skills
- Exemplary skills and ability of team working and team managementg
- Ability to enable media organization to have impact
- Ability and skillful in conducting advocacy through print, electronic and social media
- Good time management and meeting work deadlines
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure with high productivity
- Effective communication skills - internally and externally
- Proficiency in computer skills represents an added advantage
- Proficiency in English and Swahili language
- Working in and respecting social and professional diversities is highly desirable
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in one or more of the following: Mass communications, public relations, international relations, broadcasting or other relevant disciplines such as social sciences, business administration or management.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in media and public information communications including management. Significant communications experience that includes a blend of media relations and advocacy for social change.
- Knowledge of programme planning, fundraising and related management practices as well as familiarity with administrative procedures, budgetary and procurement matters.
- Experience in creating strategies for National and International issues.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in Kiswahili and English.
- Ability to articulate clear and concise thoughts.
- A strong track record of positioning organization to achieve tangible outcomes in national issues.
Location: Dar es Salaam
Contract: One year renewable contract
Note: The position is only open to women candidates.
How to apply:
Applications should include a detailed current CV with names and contacts of three referees, a current passport photo, copies of certificates and a cover letter. The cover letter (not more than a page) should briefly describe your motivation for the position. Applications should be sent to: Executive Director, P.O Box 8981, Sinza Mori, Kijitonyama, and Dar es Salaam.
DEADLINE: March 22nd 2018. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.